35 min preparation - 45 min bake
- 175g Salted Butter
- 3 medium Eggs
- 175g Light Brown Sugar
- 350g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
- 100g chopped Dates
- 2 eating Apples, peeled and chopped
- 100g Apple Purée
- 36.5 x 26 x 4cm H. tray bake tin greased and lined with baking parchment
- 120g Light Brown Sugar
- 120g Butter
- 100ml Cream or Full Cream Milk
For the toffee sauce: Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Watch it carefully so that it doesn't burn. Stir in the cream and heat gently until bubbling, stirring continually, leave to cool whilst you make the cake.
To make the cake:
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, ﬂour a little at a time, then fold in the apple sauce, dates and chopped apples.
- Spoon into the prepared tray bake tin.
- Make small holes in the mixture and place a small teaspoon of toffee sauce in the well then cover lightly with the sponge. It doesn't matter if you don't cover all the sauce up.
- Place in the middle of a preheated oven 180ºC (Fan 160ºC, Gas Mark 4) and bake for about 35 minutes until golden and baked through - it’s ready when the crust springs back when pressed.
- Leave in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out and removing parchment, then cool on a wire tray.
Cut into slices and enjoy with a cup of tea, coffee or a shot of Calvados!