1 x 2lb loaf - 30 min preparation - 50 min bake
For the loaf
- 175g Softened Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 100ml Milk
For the lemon drizzle
- 4 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
- 4 tbsp Caster Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
For the filling
- Lemon Curd
- FOR THE ICING
- 55g Icing Sugar
- Elderflower Cordial and Lemon Juice (just enough to mix with the icing sugar)
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with a strip of baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixer, add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven for 50 mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Make the drizzle by placing the sugar, cordial and lemon juice in a pan and melt over a low heat until dissolved into a syrup.
- Remove cake from the oven and prick all over with the skewer, whilst still warm drizzle over the syrup and leave to cool in the tin.
- Once cool remove from the tin and slice the loaf in half, spread one side with the lemon curd and replace the top.
- Decorate by mixing the icing sugar with a small amount of cordial and lemon juice until smooth and has a spreading consistency. Finish with a little lemon zest.
Slice and eat!