Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
- 230g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 210g soft brown sugar
- 155ml sunflower oil
- 100g roughly chopped walnuts
- 260g carrots, coarsely grated
- 3 medium free range eggs
For the icing:
- 85g softened butter
- 130g full fat cream cheese
- 240g sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C / fan 160 ̊C / gas 4. Grease two 18cm loose bottomed round cake tins. Line the bases with baking powder.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together. Stir to combine everything and set aside.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl and add the sugar. Using the Cuisinart Hand Mixer, start to blend them together on speed 1, before increasing to speed 5. Mix for about a minute, until light and thick.
- Pour in half the oil and whisk to mix on speed 4. Add the remaining old and continue to mix until fully combined.
- Add the grated carrot and walnuts and briefly mix on speed 2, until mixed through.
- Add the dry ingredients on speed 2 and mix until the batter is fully combined, taking care note to over beat.
- Pour into the prepared cake tins and spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to rest in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl, on speed 5, until really soft.
- Add the cream cheese and vanilla essence and continue to beat on speed 5, until well mixed. Add the sifted icing sugar and carefully beat on speed 1, until combined, before increasing to speed 5, until smooth.
- Place once layer of the cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Top with about one third of the icing and spread evenly, before placing the second cake on top. Coat the top and sides with the remaining icing.
Tip: To make a three tier cake, divide the batter between three 15cm cake tins.